This summer I'll be retracing the last 3 weeks of the Coast to Coast ride in 2002. I had a fantastic time in 2002 and expect the same this year as well. Below are daily collections of my experiences with photos. Hope you enjoy reading the blog. - Brian Cox

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Week 3, Day 3 (Aug 15) Stowe, VT to Littleton, NH

Woke up the the sound of rain last night. Two or three times I think. Before heading off to bed last night on of the riders had used her smart phone to check the weather map. It showed two large storm cells heading our direction with clearing weather trailing. I guess that the map was correct, because we woke to clearing skies with cool temperatures.

The breakfast was in town at the Green Mountain Inn. We left breakfast at 7:15 and hit the road. The cool air felt really refreshing and I pretty much scampered up most of the hills in front of me. Though the ride was going to be over 4000 feet for the day, most of the hills were of short enough duration that the climbing wasn't a big factor in the ride.

At 9AM I hit the 25 mile mark in the small town of Hardwick and stopped in a cafe for coffee and english muffins and was on the road again by 9:30.

Did I tell you that landscape was gorgeous? Big rolling hills covered with green trees so thick that it looked like green rolling carpet laid out in front of us.

I was moving pretty quickly today and hit the picnic stop (39 miles) at 10:30. the picnic spot was located on the shore of a lake called "Joe's Pond". Though blue sky was visible most of the day, there were times where rain threatened. At the 55 mile mark, shortly after passing under I-91, the road was soaking wet, but it wasn't raining any longer. I bet if I was just 15 minutes earlier, I would have been drenched. Then it was downhill across the Connecticut River into New Hampshire.

As I climbed up away from the river, I came across a grave yard. I spent 30 minutes or so, wondering around, reading about the deceased and enjoying the view of the valley. The military veterans were marked with flags and plaques indicating the wars that they had served. I found one from the war of 1812 and several from the Civil War.

I came cruising into Littleton and pulled into the Oasis bar where I found Greg, Dennis and Holly having burgers and beer. Heck, dinner was over 2 hours away and this would be just the snack to hold them over. Plus the Oasis had wireless internet. After I get to the high school and set up my tent I would return to upload my previous days trip blog and photos.

Today's Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment